New Jersey Lawyer: Insurance Bad Faith
“Hanan’s straightforward approach gave me considerable hope when I’d been given every indication that there was none. And when he made calls on my behalf, the people he called took notice and took action.” – Gary B.
When is an error “insurance bad faith”?
Insurance bad faith involves an insurance company’s intentional or negligent failure to provide services paid for in the policy. Examples of bad faith disputes that can be resolved through civil litigation include:
- Failure to pay a claim for a covered loss such as a car accident injury, losses in a house fire, or loss of income due to disability
- An offer of unreasonably low compensation for an insured loss
- Denial of a legitimate claim
- Delay in payment
- An error or omission on the part of a broker or insurance agent that results in a coverage dispute or the insured’s inability to collect
- Failure to provide defense against a liability claim
Although no branch of the insurance industry is immune to bad faith practices, some areas are more prone to abuse than others. Our lawyers are prepared to assist clients involved in insurance disputes involving the following types of coverage:
- Homeowners’ insurance, fire and casualty insurance
- Motor vehicle insurance, including uninsured motorist coverage
- Private disability insurance
- Business liability insurance
- Personal liability insurance
- Life insurance
Our attorneys have extensive experience with ERISA claims and are prepared to represent clients in claim against providers of employee group health insurance, long-term disability insurance, life insurance and long-term care insurance. We also are leaders in the New Jersey alternative dispute resolution professional community. If you would like to speak to a member of our firm regarding representation in an insurance coverage dispute or bad faith claim, or have any other question about our practice, please contact our Somerset County law office to arrange a consultation. We accept credit cards and offer general appointments from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, plus evening appointments during the week by pre-arrangement only.